The Essentials when in Japan
Somethings you just Have to do
I know everyone has their own preference when it comes to what you HAVE to do while in Japan, and of course, I’m no different. Whenever I’m in Japan, I MUST go to Mos Burger and wolf down a couple of those bad boys, while my brother LOVES eating the local food in Kobe’s Chinatown. After asking our staff, some friends, and from personal experiences, here is a list of Essential "Must Do" things to try out whilst vacationing or taking a tour of Japan.
PS. We decided to keep this list to be more general, so not too many specific cities or landmarks will be mentioned!
- Eat at Mos Burger A popular hamburger chain in Japan to the extent that Japan Airlines began serving their burgers on select flights. Really any Japanese fast food is worth trying. (note: it's also fun going to American chains in Japan and ordering things you can only get in Japan)
- Visit at least one of Kyoto’s many historic sites With so many to choose, you can’t go wrong. My personal favorite is Kinkakuji (A spot loved on our Japan Tours)
- Spend the Night at a Ryokan A traditional Japanese style inn which makes for an awesome experience.
- Spend time at an Onsen Just be sure to follow proper Onsen etiquette
- Eat at a standing Ramen place (or any ramen for that matter)
- Eat at a Revolving Sushi place
- Shop at UNIQLO While UNIQLO has found great success here in the states, the UNIQLO's in Japan have styles you won’t find anywhere else
- See the Cherry Blossoms If you don’t know when, you can always view them on our Cherry Blossom Japan tours!
- Get a drink at a maid, cat, owl, etc. café
- Visit a Japanese Garden
- Shop at a 100 Yen Store Yes there are more Daiso’s popping up every day, but a 100 yen store in Japan has so much more than you could imagine.
- Explore a Japanese Department store
- Buy drinks from a Japanese vending machine
- Shop at a Konbini
- Spend the night in a Capsule hotel/li>
- Ride a Bullet Train
- Eat at an Izakaya
- Explore temples, castles, and shrines
- Sing at a Karaoke place with Nomihoudai Who doesn’t want to sing with free drinks all night long?
- Take some photos at a Purikura machine
- Eat Okonomiyaki, Takoyaki, or Yakitori Really any Japanese food in Japan is going to be an experience.
- Speaking of which, go to a place where you order from a vending machine You put in the money, get a ticket, hand it to the worker, and get served something delicious
- Light fireworks Unlike the United States, you can actually buy and light fireworks whenever, though it is usually done only in the summer months.
- Shop at Don Quijote A Japanese chain store, there is so much to see, you're bound to spend a lot of time getting lost looking through all that they have.
- Snack on Japan only/exclusive candies and soft drinks
- The amount of options in Japan are unreal.
- Eat soft-serve ice cream There are tons of options in Kyoto and it is always, always worth those calories.
- See a Japanese Festival
- Eat whatever local specialty is available Plan on gaining a couple pounds after this trip, the food is worth it
- And of course, take a bunch of photos
These plates were only 158 yen each. Delicious time at a revolving sushi bar!